Demes, KW, S Starko, CDG Harley. Submitted. Multiple stressors drive convergent evolution of unique performance properties in marine macrophytes. Target journal: American Naturalist.
Starko, S, KW Demes, C Neufeld, P Martone. In review. Convergent evolution of niche structure in Northeast Pacific kelp forests. Target journal: Functional Ecology.
Burt, JM*, KW Demes, DK Okamoto, O Pontier, AK Salomon. In revision. Herbivore biomass, food availability, and fear affect grazing rates that drive a temperate reef regime shift. Target journal: Oecologia.
Pruitt, JN, HV Moeller, A Berdahl, N Pinter-Wollman, J Garland, P Yeh, V Savage, KW Demes, EA Hobson. In Revision. The Socioecology of coupled tipping points. Target journal: American Naturalist.
(19) Starko, S, S Gomez, H Darby, KW Demes, H Kawai, N Yotsukura, SC Lindstrom, PJ Keeling, SW Graham, & PT Martone. 2019. A comprehensive kelp phylogeny sheds light on the evolution of an ecosystem. Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution 136: 138-150. [link]
(18) Demes, KW & JN Pruitt. 2019. Seaweed individuality and why we need to care. Journal of Phycology 55(2): 247-256. [link]
(17) Demes, KW, GC Murphy, & HM Burt. 2019. Catalyzing Clusters of Research Excellence: An Institutional Case Study. Journal of Research Administration 50(1): 108-123. [link]
(16) Burt, J*, T Tinker, D Okamoto, KW Demes, K Holmes, A Salomon. 2018. Sudden collapse of a mesopredator reveals its complementary role in mediating rocky reef regime shifts. Proc. R. Soc. B 285: 20180553. [link]
(15) Schubert, N† & K Demes†. 2017. Phenotypic plasticity in the marine angiosperm Halophila decipiens Ostenf. (Hydrocharitaceae, Streptophyta). Marine Ecology Progress Series 575: 81-93. [link]
(14) Green, S, KW Demes, M Arbeider*, WJ Palen, AK Salomon, TD Sisk, M Webster*, ME Ryan. 2016. Oil sands and the marine environment: Current knowledge and future challenges. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 15(2): 74-83. [link]
(13) Stevenson C*, KW Demes & AK Salomon. 2016. Accounting for size‐specific predation improves our ability to predict the strength of a trophic cascade. Ecology and Evolution 6(4):1041-1053. [link]
(12) Krumhansl, K, Demes, KW, CDG Harley, & E Carrington. 2015. Divergent growth strategies between red algae and kelps influence biomechanical properties. American Journal of Botany 102(11): 1-7. [link]
(11) Chang, S, J Stone, K Demes, M Piscitelli. 2014. Consequences of oil spills: a framework for scenario planning. Ecology and Society 19(2): 26. [link]
(10) Demes, KW, CDG Harley, LM Anderson, & E Carrington. 2013. Shifts in morphological and mechanical traits compensate for performance costs of reproduction in a wave-swept seaweed. Journal of Ecology 101 (4), 963-970. [link]
(9) Demes, KW, CDG Harley, JN Pruitt, & E Carrington. 2013. Survival of the weakest: Increased frond mechanical strength in a wave-swept kelp inhibits self-pruning increasing mortality. Functional Ecology 27: 439-445. [link]
(8) Harley, CDG, K Anderson, KW Demes, JP Jorve, RL Kordas, T Coyle, and M Graham. 2012. Effects of climate change on seaweed communities. Journal of Phycology 48:1064-1078. [link]
(7) Demes, KW, RL Kordas & JP Jorve. 2012. Intertidal sites exposed to ferry traffic exhibit higher seaweed abundance and diversity. Hydrobiologia 693: 1-11. [link]
(6) Demes, KW, E Carrington, J Gosline & P Martone. 2011. Variation in anatomical and material properties explains differences in hydrodynamic performances of foliose red macroalgae (Rhodophyta). Journal of Phycology 47(6): 1360-1367. [link]
(5) Pruitt, J, KW Demes & D Dittrich-Reed. 2011. Temperature mediates correlated shifts in individual aggressiveness, activity-level, and social behavior in a spider. Ethology 117(4): 318-325. [link]
(4) Demes, KW & MH Graham. 2011. Abiotic regulation of vegetative vs. sexual reproduction in the clonal kelp Laminaria sinclairii (Laminariales, Phaeophyceae). Journal of Phycology (47)3: 463-470. [link]
(3) Demes, KW, MM Littler & DS Littler. 2010. Comparative phosphate acquisition in giant-celled rhizophytic algae (Bryopsidales, Chlorophyta): fleshy vs. calcified forms. Aquatic Botany 92(2): 157-160. [link]
(2) Demes, KW, MH Graham & TS Suskiewicz. 2009. Phenotypic plasticity reconciles incongruous molecular and morphological taxonomies: the giant kelp, Macrocystis (Laminariales, Phaeophyceae), is a monospecific genus. Journal of Phycology 45(6): 1266-1269. [link]
(1) Demes, KW, SS Bell & CJ Dawes. 2009. The effects of elevated phosphate concentrations on calcification in the green alga Halimeda incrassata. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 374(2): 123-127. [link]
Palen, W, T Sisk, SJ Green, & KW Demes. 2018. Ottawa’s call for new science review says a lot about Trans Mountain safety claims. The Narwhal Opinion. [link]
K Demes, HM Burt, & GC Murphy. 2017. Identifying, Evaluating and Catalyzing Clusters of Research Excellence. Society of Research Administrators International Paper Symposium.
Trebilco, R, K Demes, L Lee, B Keeling, N Sloan, H Stewart, A Salomon. 2014. Summary of Baseline Kelp Forest Surveys Within and Adjacent to Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve and Haida Heritage Site, Haida Gwaii, British Columbia, Canada. DFO Data report. [link]
Stone, J, M Piscitelli, K Demes, S Chang, M Quayle, D Withers. 2013. Economic and biophysical impacts of oil tanker spills relevant to Vancouver, Canada: a literature review. Prepared for Vancouver Economic Commission 153 pp. [link]